Friday, August 15, 2014

CAMEL RIDE-“I’d Walk A Mile For A Camel”

Adam (aka Poncho later): Photo courtesy of Deb Mc Murray, Photographer


If you want to keep camels, have a big enough door. 
                                                       Afghan Proverb

The camel and his driver -- each has his own plan. 
                                                        African Proverb

I think compassion is all important. I carry a piece of rose quartz in my pocket 
that reminds me to take in everything, and give out everything, with compassion.
                                                     Tamara Nesbit

Destiny was calling. Namaste Global Vision’s mission is to enable animal stewards through our leadership coaching. I was off course in considering our non-profit directly assisting in an animal rescue. I called our other two founding members so we could consider the request.

“Here I am standing in the community kitchen,” I tell Art and Myron, “and one of the women asks if I will find Adam a home. I think about it. And then right after meditation, an ‘Aha’ comes. I do know someone to ask for help if we decide to take this on!”

Adam was in a midlife crisis during an economic slump. One of his humps was sagging. His current health and home were unstable. He used to be a photo celebrity; humans drove by singing, others sent wishes. Some offered connection and carrots at the fence. Eventually, even his goat friends could not cheer him.

After receiving the green light, I swallow hard. I call Adam’s owner and we talk for a very long time. Tentatively, I call Charley.

What happens next is camel magic, and phone calls that go flying.

“Mystic Moon passed away,” Charley tells me. “Many people wanted his stall. But I hung up a cross and prayed on it many times. I kept leaving it open for someone. I now know who! Thanks for calling.”

Charley knows about gentling. Gentling isn’t just for camels and horses; it’s for people too. Falling on hard times is hard. It’s not easy to let go of family, regardless of what wisdom says.

I’m reminded of “Heartland”, a thoughtful television show. “Second Chances” tells the story about Mr. Hanley’s neglecting his horses as he falls on hard times. Because of Amy’s dedication to helping the horses she ends up helping Mr. Hanley too. (http://www.amazon.com/Second-Chances/dp/B00F91RV0C)

Like with Mr. Hanley's horses, Adam's ranch life was precarious. His people were trying to make ends meet for hearth and ranch life. Sometimes, there were not enough resources for the animal's care. Adam was underweight. The authorities were coming around and that did not bode well for Adam. Negative thinking and despair don’t help. Destabilization invites a delicate situation. When breakdowns happen, it’s time for a change. (http://consultingforpassion.blogspot.com/2014/02/crying-uncle-wayto-breakthrough-things.html) 

A delicate situation it was: “Yes, Adam can go. No, he can’t. Take the goats, too. No, it can’t work. Well, let’s try. Need more time.”

Charley, Myron and I chose peaceful negotiations and positive communication. Luckily, we had help. Adam received affection, support, treats and mantrams from a local spiritual community. Well-wishers had watched his growth from childhood, on. Deb, a photographer, sang to Adam every day on her way to work. We had all that good energy going for us.

Hours and hours of phone calls later, loading day came. Today was Adam’s turn for a camel ride. (http://consultingforpassion.blogspot.com/2014/07/camel-ride-part-one.html) And Myron and Scotty will tell you they walked more than a mile for their camel as they loaded him into the trailer. Adam and his owners said a teary goodbye. Adam then rode off, away from northern California, down south to his new home.

Adam arrived at dawn on Charley’s birthday. Charley’s brother surprised everyone with a three-man Mariachi band who followed the trailer. Adam’s regal head nodded approval as the band played on. In that moment, Adam became Poncho as his resolution to mid-life crisis was underway.

I hope you enjoyed the ride. He did. And, reader, what’s your transformational story that saved a life?

By the by: Everyone likes a happy ending. Here’s Poncho’s happy ending with his forever family. http://charleymayer.me/my-furry-family/#contentBox  


Poncho( aka Adam earlier) with his new friend, Corona; Photo by Charley Mayer;
https://www.facebook.com/PonchoTheCamel/photos_stream


                             "He's Doing Better Than Ever" Photo by Cassandra Ogier
  


No comments: