Friday, December 5, 2014

LETTING MY HEART LEAD THE WAY




     We know a great deal about what leaders do and how they do it. But we know very little 
      about the inner place, the source from which they operate. And it is this source that 
      "Theory U" attempts to explore. When leaders develop the capacity to come near to
      that source, they experience the future as if it were "wanting to be born" - an 
      experience called "presencing." That experience often carries with it ideas for 
      meeting challenges and for bringing into being an otherwise impossible future.

                             Otto Scharmer author of Theory U and Leading From The Emerging Future



This morning I told a friend, “I need to get off the phone and let my Muse show me my next blog. I’ve no idea where it’s coming from." This year’s sojourn has been about what Otto Scharmer calls "letting come an emergent future." 

It’s quite the adventure living into this freedom. It's about breaking the chains of traditional thinking. It's about trusting my heart to lead me. 



Some of my most life-altering moments have been when I let my heart lead the way. Since I was a child, I always wanted to be near chimpanzees. I shared this one day in a group. Well someone knew someone who had recently gone to a chimpanzee sanctuary in the United States. 

"Oh, boy." 

A phone call later, I was speaking with a woman thought to be the sanctuary founder. Turns out she wasn't in charge of a sanctuary at all. She arranged African Safaris."Had she ever arranged a trip to a chimp sanctuary?" Well, yes she had. 

That's how I found myself on a plane to Zambia, Africa, the home of Chimfunshi. Talk about experiencing a future "waiting to be born." 
Shelia Siddle with an orphaned chimp



With nothing more than their heart’s dedication, the Siddles created the largest Chimpanzee Sanctuary in the world. Inspired and on fire, I saw my new future birthing before me as I hung out with the chimps. I saw the Siddle's sheer innovation, freshness and native leadership.

Chimfunshi chimps; photo by Karla Boyd





I had listened for years to the suffering of animal rescue workers: they were burnt-out and in need of new ways. In Africa, I saw how to move beyond the old paradigms that perpetuate more suffering. On that auspicious journey, I was called to offer leadership development work into the animal steward community upon my return to the states. 

Last week, I wrote a blog, Change Your Vibration And Tell Me What You Want. It's a request to publish positive media images and share what IS working. It's what made the Siddles natural leaders. It's what let me trust my heart and get on a plane to Africa. 

After I hung up the phone with my friend, a rainbow appeared on my walk. Back home, leaning into the unknown, I found myself opening to a link about positive news stories. Harmonyfund.org and Laura Simpson's “Unique Blue Sky Approach caught my eye. In perfect synch with last week 's blog message were these words:

     We do not expose our supporters to graphic photos of animal suffering or distribute
     dire forecasts about animal suffering. Instead we focus on a spirit of joy and 
     determination as we pursue essential operations to provide food, veterinary medicine, 
     shelter and protection from cruelty for animals worldwide.

Harmony Fund photo
That is how I believe we move into our best futures ... flowing with the threads of where our hearts are leading us. 

So when, dear Reader, did you last follow your heart? 

2 comments:

Kay said...

Good post, Karla! And yes, like you, I follow my heart pretty much every day. Took me a while to learn to trust it, but I made it!

Conversations with Karla Boyd said...

Thanks, Kay for your comment. I love it that you trust following your heart.

Yes, for me too, I have had times of totally trusting my heart and other times when self-doubt crept in. Now more and more, I trust my heart to be leading.