Friday, October 3, 2014

FEEDING YOUR SOUL




I was in the barn doing equine leadership coaching yesterday. I’m also exploring what Carolyn Resnick calls, "Sharing Territory."

Over the course of a week, I’ve shared territory with a squirrel, deer, horses and cows. Sharing territory is about fully inhabiting someone else’s worldview and listening deeply. It’s about trusting the dance of partnership. It’s about just being together before moving into work. 

On my walk up the mountain Monday, I came upon an industrious squirrel. Seeing me approach, he was ready to run. I stopped walking. I simply stood, noticing the sunlight reflection through the trees, rich red soil, and occasionally glancing at my squirrel friend. He went on eating, finding nuts, and hiding them. 

I thought about moving forward. He almost darted for higher ground. I walked slowly. Curious, he moved closer. I moved a few inches and then let him cross the road. It felt good, him trusting me to wait. It lifted my spirits, gave me confidence, and left me refreshed. 

Yesterday, entering the barn, I said hello to chickens, goats and horses. I assembled my tools and let the horses sniff my camera. These horses and goats have the freedom to be in the pasture and in stalls. Each horse moved closer; they let me scratch behind their ears. One moved her head into my chest. A goat bleated until I caressed him. 

It couldn’t have been clearer:  Humans have Facebook and email; animals have telepathy. The squirrel, deers and cows communicated to the barn about my new adventures in sharing territory. Without debate, the horses read my energy. I changed...and they knew it. We stood at their stalls in rich communion. 
 Photo by Karla Boyd, Copyright: Sky turning around for a better photo only by my thought
Later that day my friend, the ranch owner, opened up about changes in the herd. She shared personal events. I dropped into yet a deeper layer of shared engagement that continued into my client coaching and her big opening. 

Fast-forwarding to today, I received an email from another good friend who was acknowledging the need for our non-profit Namaste Global Vision leadership development work. Did I know that a well-known veterinarian had committed suicide?

Suicide. That’s one word I will be happy to NEVER hear again. How could this be that veterinarians have a high rate of suicide? Well, simple, it’s not; it’s a deep and long conversation. There are many layers to unpeel. These blogs explore a few issues rife in the animal steward community that contribute to that statistic and offer pathways to positive change.

 1. Burn-out and seeking help. 

2. We live in a western culture that promotes killing as a solution. We need to shift paradigms and worldviews.  

3. FIRST DO NO HARM is a deep look at responsible self-care and the need for leadership development in the veterinarian community



Equine-guided coaching is not fringe. Learning to share territory and space decreases isolation and feeds souls. Herd dynamics have a lot to teach humans about how to be in community. Leadership development is essential in learning how to stay in the game, aligned, whole and inspirited.

What change is being asked of you? And, dear Reader, what is one thing that you will do today to nourish your one precious life? 


Photo courtesy of Ron McGinnis, used with permission




Feeding Your Soul

No comments: