Friday, November 14, 2014

THE LOVING POWER OF HORSES AND THE UNKNOWN


When I engage in equine coaching, I enter into what the Lakota people call The Great Mystery.

Yesterday, as I stepped into the barn, I met a peaceful scene. Part of the herd came down the hill. Others, already with stall access, came in for a nuzzle.

My client and I were working in the small barn room. From my perch, I saw more horses come down the hill. At liberty, they milled around Ginger quietly standing in the round pen. A couple of horses were lying down. A few nuzzled each other. There was a lot of licking and chewing. Eyes were attentive on me as I worked with the client.














My client works for a large company. He recently shifted from a breakdown with a close colleague and was still in dialogue. His former communication and integrity issues cost him business and respect. He was seeking deeper intimacy with his teams and family.

After a brief exploration in the round pen, life burst into action on the other side of the pen. Two of the horses nipped each other, nosed, chased...sometimes kicking out as one of them would speed up the hill and then return.


After scanning the environment, I asked my client what the two horses seemed to be saying to him.

"Well, it was connection and then biting. Like fighting. So I guess something about connecting." 

More biting and chasing ensued.

I then asked if his inner intimacy conflict had returned? He confided that it had. Ginger came a little closer.

“What’s Ginger saying?”

“That I was honest and it's okay to come closer to me. I still feel agitated, though. Like I cannot get ahold of it.”

“Of intimacy? But you just did by admitting you were in conflict and not hiding it.”

The exploration changed again. Ginger moved off and the biting and nipping resumed.




“Hmm, is there anyone you’re in conflict with presently?”

“Well, I blew up at Bert. But I don’t think he cared.”

More nipping and rearing.

What are the horses saying to you?

“If it weren’t for the broken company...”

More nipping and rearing.

“What are the horses saying?

“Heck yes, I blew up. It was a bad deal and I couldn’t take it anymore.”

Ginger moved away from John. More nipping, rearing and biting.

I walked closer into my client’s space. My body was relaxed, my voice even. “I thought you already decided that blowing up was unacceptable?”

My client looked out into the distance to the top of the pasture hills. Ginger moved to stand in front of the round pen gate.

“What’s Ginger saying to you?”

John laughed. “That there is no way out.”

 “From?”

“Putting an end to my rage and controlling others.”

“What are the other horses showing you?”

“I have to clean this up.”

And?

“I will tonight.”

“Who are you mad at?”




“Me. I am mad at me for not communicating, not knowing how to share my love of the project. I blew it and took it out on Bert.”

“John, what was the herd energy when you arrived? And then later, with you?”

“Well as we came to the round pen, they were all calm.  Then when I was talking those two were play fighting, they showed me I wasn’t. I was numb and yet, aggressive. It was ... really ... like love ... and POWER. You, too. Like a Loving Power.”


A day later, I called an equine coaching friend. With only a brief picture of the horse’s interaction, she had the same coaching questions as I. She asked about my response to the work done.

“It’s so dynamic. I don’t like seeing the horses bite each other. And you’re right, I don’t really know what it’s like for them. They were play fighting. It's really that sometimes when I express this loving power, I get anxious. This strong vibration of love, strong and focused. And yet, the horses cheered me, whinnying, coming closer when I moved in closer to my client. They backed me up.”

“How was that?” my friend asked.

My eyes teared up. “It’s my growing edge. I know Nature and the animals are helping us, even in our work. It’s humbling. I feel moved by it.”

Dear Reader, when was the last time you let Nature have a word with you? Did you make the change?


5 comments:

Conversations with Karla Boyd said...

In all my blogs, in respect and honor of anonymity of clients and barns, I have changed names and details.

Lynn Baskfield, SpiritDance Coaching, Minneapolis said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Conversations with Karla Boyd said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
"Lynn Baskfield, SpiritDance Coaching, Minneapolis" said...

Karla, I love your wisdom and depth of spirit.

Conversations with Karla Boyd said...

Thanks, Lynn for your comment. I appreciate it all the more as you are part of my equine coaching herd.